Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/25/1998 13:49:33
   Dear Tim,

   You wrote:
> The "same" driver?  I don't think that word means what you think it
> means.

   It means using the exact same code on both KA410 and KA42/41.

> > The DMA differences can be handled
> > at a lower level.
>
> Conceptually, yes.  But there's a long way between a "conceptual" design
> and a real device driver

   See my response to Antonio. It is possible that this handling of the DMA
differences at a lower level is already done for the HDC9224 driver. In
this case it could also be done for the CCS-speaking 5380 driver.

> Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "easy".  If you bought the VS2000
> SCSI adapter and driver from Trimarchi, it's a five minute operation
> and doesn't even require a reboot after software installation [...]

   This is not what I have meant.

> If you're talking about enabling some
> mythical DEC VMS driver that's there but somehow disabled [...]

   This is correct, except that I have a hard time believing that it's
mythical.

> [...] I'd like to remind
> you that this driver is indeed not there.

   It IS there, since it's used on KA42/41. See my response to Antonio.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu