Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: None <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1998 11:33:44
Oh Oh. Let me! This is an RTFM problem (of sorts!)

> > >    - Take NFS from HPBSD 1.x. NFS is absolutely essential for UNIX
> > > "clusters". HPBSD 1.x is 4.3BSD vintage, so this should not introduce
> > > any impurity problems.
> > >
> > This would exclude NFS3 which has some real gains.
> >
> > Hmm, if you go the SunOS route for NFS support that is going to
> > introduce 'vfs' layers to support non ffs filesystems. I think
> > there may be quite a bit of 'impurity' there, though it would make
> > supporting cd9660 and other filesystems much easier.
>
>    Does SunOS use the VFS layer?

	-> uname -s -r
	SunOS 4.1.3

	-> more sys/vnode.h
	/*      @(#)vnode.h 2.43 89/05/16 SMI   */

	/*
	 * The vnode is the focus of all file activity in UNIX.
	 * There is a unique vnode allocated for each active file, each current
	 * directory, each mounted-on file, each mapped file, and the root.
	 */

	#ifndef _sys_vnode_h
	#define _sys_vnode_h

Oh, and please don't try to say that 'vnode' isn't 'vfs'...
The vfs *layer* is an abstraction of all filesystems, which then go
under it, and the vnode is in a sense an abstraction of the inode. You
won't find a disk with vfs *on* it, it's a kernel thing.

	-> more sys/vfs.h
	/*      @(#)vfs.h 2.24 88/08/19 SMI     */

	/*
	 * File system identifier. Should be unique (at least per machine).
	 */

	#ifndef _sys_vfs_h
	#define _sys_vfs_h

(hmm. as I recall header files were an option that could be
installed on any SunOS machine, even after the os was installed!)

Zach