Subject: Re: Retrocomputing, VAXen, and NetBSD
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/22/1998 00:48:17
   One person has pointed it out to me that I have been referring to
something called "INS" without explaining what it is. These letters stand
for Information Network Services, and it's the organization within CWRU
that runs CWRUnet. They also run a UNIX system that they consider central
and official, but anyone is free to use any other system on our campus as
long as he/she has access to it. Since INS's system is currently the only
one to which no one can be denied access, I'm building a new one that will
be open to everyone at CWRU like INS's but unlike it won't be fascist and
useless. That system is (code)named Harhan and will be based on VAXen
running Berkeley UNIX(R).

   Actually, INS has renamed itself into CNS (CWRUnet Services). However, I
and many others deliberately continue to call them INS for a very important
reason. The name "CWRUnet Services" suggests that they == CWRUnet, i.e.,
that their system is the only one on CWRUnet. Of course this is what they
want, but the whole point of Harhan Project is to challenge this.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu