Subject: Re: Retrocomputing, VAXen, and NetBSD
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/22/1998 00:47:43
   Jacob H. Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net> wrote:
> The problem is with farms is that one thing goes down, its
> broken.  Lets say your central NFS server for /home and /var/mail
> die...  You're screwed.

   Why can't the same happen with a single box?

> Well "new crap" isn't that bad of a thing.  Forcing a school full of
> people to use outdated stuff is pretty shitty IMHO.  Students *do* pay
> for proper Internet access.

   But what if the "outdated stuff" is _BETTER_ than new crap? I claim that
proper ARPA Internet access is that through a VAX running Berkeley UNIX(R).

> How could I play my mp3's?

   That's the difference between a moderate and a radical. Being an
opponent of multimedia, I abstain from it and if I need to record music, I
use standard analog magnetic tapes.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299