Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/1998 22:27:37
   Dear Boris,

   You wrote:
> I'm *sure* that 4.3BSD doesn't use shared libs.
   and
> As for the change in binary sizes, that's surely just bloat.
   and
> I've used MIPS Ultrix, and it doesn't.  I don't know about VAX Ultrix...
> it probably doesn't.

   Thanks for reassuring me! I have always been sure that 4.3BSD and Ultrix
don't use shared libs, but so many things that I have always believed are
turning out to be not true that I don't know what to believe any more.
"Beyond belief: fact or fiction?", "The X-Files: the truth is out there"...

> [...] a reason why your 4.3BSD project [...] may be interesting [...]

   THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your support! I am so pleased to see someone who
is not hung up on NetBSD!

> [...] if it ever actually happens [...]

   If you want it to happen, help me get a copy of Berkeley UNIX(R)! I need
4.3BSD-Tahoe and 4.3BSD-Reno at the minimum, but 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD would
also help. I will soon announce the results of my negotiations with SCO,
but in any case it's absolutely legal for me to possess a copy of Berkeley
UNIX(R) since I have a UNIX(R) source license (which has actually been used
already to get copies of BSD in the past).

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu