Subject: VS3100 serial cable
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/1998 16:47:39
Hi all..

I was wondering if anyone here can help me with the construction of a
cable designed to hook up the serial port to a PC.  Now I can figure out
the PC side of things fine, but I'm not sure of the pinout for the vax end
of things.  How would I do it? I've been told that most people use an
RJ-11 and shave off the connector bit until it fits in the proprietory DEC
socket.  And even if I got that far, I don't know which one is transmit,
receive.. or even whether it needs a signal ground.

How does graphic console support work on the Amiga NetBSD?  Could
something like this be "utilised" to support the VaxStation 3100 video
controller?  Maybe making it an option to compile it into the kernel and
having a special "graphic-console kernel" for people like me who don't
have serial terminals or even the appropriate cabling.  Besides, it feels
terrible having a 21" monitor go to waste. :)

And what is the current status everyone is at? Ragge? I'm just curious as
to what is being done at the moment by various people.. Perhaps there are
experimental kernels that I could play with?

Regards,

Dave.