Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/1998 15:58:55
>From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
[...]
>Interesting... Unless my memory totally fails me, the VAX very much works
>the same way as the PDP-11, on which  you really had to get explicit to
>avoid getting PIC code. So, either gcc is more than just a little stupid,
>or some strange solutions have been used...

I forget, does the VAX have a "load address" instruction?  Lack of this
instruction is the most painful thing about doing PIC on a PDP-11, and since
it's not at all unusual to handle pointers to functions or to global data
structures in C, this will bite you a lot (since you need to do math with
the PC every time you build a pointer, which could normally be loaded an
immediate value of the absolute address).  Pointers to data structures on
the stack would have to be computed anyway so that shouldn't be a problem...

John Wilson
D Bit