Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se, port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/1998 00:10:08
Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:

>> Obvioulsly gas has to be modified.  What about gcc?  Is it really
>> quietly accepting -fpic and not doing the right thing?  (at least it
>> calls as with -k)
>>
>Yes, you got it :-) -fpic sets a flag in gcc which should be checked
>by the machine-dependent code to generate those GOT offsets etc...

I don't know anything about the internal design of shared libs, but
on a proper CISC architecture like the VAX it should surely be possible
to generate position independent code without the help of extra tables?
At least it could be done on the PDP-11. Heck, it didn't even HAVE
an absolute addressing mode, just autoincrement PC deferred ;-)

>But there are no offset table support in the vax gcc version, so gcc
>just quietly accepts it and nothing happens.
>
>-- Ragge

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ It's not easy having a good time    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl