Subject: Re: Is the SCSI port on a uVAX 2000 normal SCSI?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/17/1998 08:22:55
> > So, I have 2 good 200-meg SCSI devices.  Can I just hang them off the SCSI
> > port in the back?  Then I could have an RX33 and a 200 meg SCSI hdd, all
> > portable, all VAX!  That would rule...
>
> 	The uVax2000 will not boot from a SCSI disk (the ROM talks a
> 	different protocol over that device... thanks Dec), but if you
> 	can write a NetBSD kernel to an RX33 then you should be able to
> 	boot from than then run the filesystems from a SCSI drive
> 	(fitted inside even :)

You should avoid assigning SCSI ID 1 to that drive since ROM expects
the TK50 to be at this ID. I don't remember if using other SCSI IDs
makes self-test during power-up fail. In any case you're on the save
side if you keep the SCSI devices powered off during self-test and
switch them on before issueing the boot command. During boot from
floppy or net the kernel probes for SCSI devices and should find them.

Ciao,
	bertram