Subject: Re: miniroot?
To: Seth J. Morabito <sethm@loomcom.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 18:11:14
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Seth J. Morabito wrote:

> [...]
>
> I have no way of producing TK50 tapes to boot off of, so I've been
> net-booting NetBSD from my linux box.  It seems to work fairly well,
> but I'd like to install a mini-root onto one of the RD53's, too see if
> I can go about at least getting a root-filesystem set up on local disk.
> The problem is that I can't find the VAX miniroot on ftp.netbsd.org
> _anywhere!_.  The /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/vax/INSTALL file says that
> miniroot.tar.gz should exist, but if it does I'm completely missing it.
> Is there any way I can get an image of the miniroot, or am I totally
> out of luck?

	If you have the machine netbooted then you should be able to
	disklabel, newfs, and extract the tarfiles that way - much
	easier than a miniroot.

> After I start working on this problem, I'll be back whining and asking
> why NetBSD seems to panic with a "lost mapping" error every time I try
> to do _anything_ with the disk -- including 'disklabel -r' or newfs.
> But that's a post for another time :)

	Thats probably the sticking point... - if you cant disklabel the
	disk then you're not going to be stuck.

	Can anyone remember the prom command on a VS2000 to reformat an
	RD disk?

		David/absolute

          .:. "I'm not an angel... I'm not that quaint..." .:.