Subject: Re: X?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 15:35:29
> > VS2000 and VS3100 use exactly the same GPX boards (dunno about SPX),
> > but PMAXen (DS3100/2100) use different ones AFAIK.
>
> not the GPX boards but probably the dragon chipset used in a GPX (QDSS) board.

By GPX boards I have meant boards that produce GPX video signals, not
necessarily the 3-board QDSS subsystem. The latter obviously can't be used in
BabyVAXen since they don't have Q-bus slots! The software interfaces are
certainly completely different between QVSS/QDSS and BabyVAX video. The latter
is just a dumb and plain memory-mapped frame buffer, and the keyboard and the
mouse are connected to ordinary serial ports. QVSS and QDSS, on the other hand,
do keyboard and mouse input in addition to video output and it seems to me that
their frame buffers are not mapped directly into the Q-bus address space.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu