Subject: RE: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 09:20:26
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no> wrote:
> > Why do we not have shared libraries on NetBSD/vax? Sorry if this is a
> > very naive question.
> >
> > And Michael, don't bother jumping in here with yet another plug for your
> > vaporware, we know already, allright?
>
> Actually, I have had zero intention to jump in and say "I'll support shared
> libs in Berkeley UNIX(R)". As it happens, I actually don't like shared libs,
> and Berkeley UNIX(R) doesn't use them except in special cases (e.g., to make
> its sparc port run SunOS binaries).

Oh, so you like bloated binaries which waste vast quantities of ram and
hard disk space?  I'd like to hear a good reason why.  Shared libraries
are an infinitely useful feature.  And lumping in fat static libs to every
executable on your hard disk is rather inefficient, regardless of whatever
argument you might have against shared libs.

> And please stop calling Berkeley UNIX(R) "vaporware". It exists, and has
> existed in a reasonable shape since 1986 when 4.3BSD, the first version with
> satisfactory ARPA Internet support, was released.

Can I boot this on my VaxStation 3100? :)

> Sincerely,
> Michael Sokolov
> Phone: 440-449-0299
> ARPA Internet SMTP mail: sokolov@alpha.ces.cwru.edu