Subject: Re: Precompiled vax packages anyone?
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 11:50:17
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > Why do we not have shared libraries on NetBSD/vax? Sorry if this is a
> > very naive question.
> >
> Because noone has taught gcc to produce pic-code for vax. Also the
> assembler and loader must be fixed to be able to use this.
>
> -- Ragge

gcc happily accepts -fpic.  However, as (apparently gas) doesn't
understand the -k (handle position independant code) flag.  It just
causes a warning and I do get an object file, but I doubt it is position
independant because of that warning.  I then proceeded to link it with
-Bshareable.  I hot some RRS text relocation messages and then I got a
file which according to file(1) is a NetBSD/vax demand paged shared
library not stripped

Obvioulsly gas has to be modified.  What about gcc?  Is it really
quietly accepting -fpic and not doing the right thing?  (at least it
calls as with -k)

BTW.  Shared libraries would really be nice if you have X clients.
They're way too big without shared libraries.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |