Subject: miniroot?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Seth J. Morabito <sethm@loomcom.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 00:27:06
Howdy folks,

I'm extremely new to this list - as in, only a few days old - but I've
tried to read all the FAQs and documentation available, including leafing
through the port-vax archives.

First, a brief introduction.  I'm a fan of tinkering with older hardware,
and have recently been given a VS2000 with 10MB of RAM, two RD53 hard
drives, and a TK50Z-FA tape drive.

I have no way of producing TK50 tapes to boot off of, so I've been
net-booting NetBSD from my linux box.  It seems to work fairly well,
but I'd like to install a mini-root onto one of the RD53's, too see if
I can go about at least getting a root-filesystem set up on local disk.
The problem is that I can't find the VAX miniroot on ftp.netbsd.org
_anywhere!_.  The /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/vax/INSTALL file says that
miniroot.tar.gz should exist, but if it does I'm completely missing it.
Is there any way I can get an image of the miniroot, or am I totally
out of luck?

After I start working on this problem, I'll be back whining and asking
why NetBSD seems to panic with a "lost mapping" error every time I try
to do _anything_ with the disk -- including 'disklabel -r' or newfs.
But that's a post for another time :)

Thanks much for any comments,

-Seth Morabito