Subject: RE: Does NetBSD use the hardware clock differently?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/16/1998 03:18:09
rmsmith@csc.com wrote:

> > I'm wondering... is the way that NetBSD uses the hardware clock on a
> > KA630 differently from other OSes?  Even if the time is set
correctly
> > MicroVMS will ask me for the time, and then upon booting NetBSD it
will
> > think it is 1917.
> >
> the only time i get prompted is if the system has been off for a long
time.
> From the date, your batteries might be going a bit low.
> I have left my vaxen on for a few days to ensure the batteries are
fully
> charged and that seems to clear it up.

Nope, no way this is a hardware problem! That is, Boris' machine might
have a low battery, I wouldn't know, but NetBSD also has a problem with
this.

I have the same problem on two KA410s and I've done some experimenting.
VMS reads the correct time on both even after a 12 hour power off.
NetBSD gets the time and date right, but never the year, even if I
reboot without powering off:

[...]
Clock has lost 10207 day(s) - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
root file system type: nfs
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
Terminal type? vt220
# date
Mon Feb 16 03:08:24 CET 1970
#

See? The date and time is 100% correct (I know, I should be in bed ;-),
but the year is 28 years off.

This was taken from a KA410 netbooting 1.2G. I have the exact same
problem with another KA410 booting 1.3 release from a local RD54.

I haven't tried booting 1.3 on my KA630 yet (it's still running 1.2),
but I haven't seen this problem on that machine.

Boris, did you mean 1970 instead of 1917? Are we having the exact same
problem here? How about the Sun, is it also back in 1970 but with the
correct time and day?

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2