Subject: Re: Does NetBSD use the hardware clock differently?
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Bob Harbour <bharbour@teleport.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/1998 22:24:45
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Boris Gjenero wrote:

> I'm wondering... is the way that NetBSD uses the hardware clock on a
> KA630 differently from other OSes?  Even if the time is set correctly
> MicroVMS will ask me for the time, and then upon booting NetBSD it will
> think it is 1917.

I had a similar problem with my KA630. I could set the clock on powerup
with the diagnostic program (on a separate disk) and then boot version 1.3
and it would have a date of around 1970 or so. If I shut down to single
user and re-set the clock, restored normal operation, the clock was fine.
Then without shutting off power, shutdown and restart the OS, the clock
was back to 1970. Changing to a ka650 solved that problem for me.

Bob Harbour
bharbour@teleport.com