Subject: Re: 3100, console driver/ serial console usage
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: Jacob H. Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/1998 22:05:02
> Actually I'm not too sure about whether the VS3100 will run X in NetBSD.
> I'd assume DEC Unix would have support for text output on the graphic
> console.  I'm not sure whether it is a very fiddly hack, or just a trivial
> change to get it to work.  All the code to emulate the text is on ROM
> isn't it?

Well, back in my old basic days, I wrote a program that could actually
read the BIOS and copy it to a file.  I'd assume it'd be kinda easy to
copy the contents of the ROM into some memory segment as the memory
"managment" was initialized in the Kernel.

Unluckily I lost touch with real programming years ago, and now don't
have the time, so I may be speaking out my arse but its an idea.

JS