Subject: Re: More info on Tandberg tape drive
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/1998 23:37:42
On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com> wrote:
> > P.S. the TK86 w/ SCSI runs great (even from a no-name 486 with aha1540cp
> > host!)
>
> Could you tell me what it is? I'm very curious, as I have never heard of TK86.

It's a DLT type tape drive that uses a 50 pin Berg (tm) male connector
for SCSI and uses DLT type III tape 'bricks' (that what I call them). ;)
its like a miniature 9 track reel-to-reel drive with a captive internal
spool for take-up (now that I have insulted everyone here). There are
versions that use a 40 pin high density male connector that now I foud
out requires a us $700 interface board and cable for either SCSI or DSSI.
It's probably going to be some overpriced interface board with little in
the way of components and circuitry. :(

P.S.A - And you thought that only the Borg did the assimilation thing...