Subject: Re: 3100, console driver/ serial console usage
To: None <beyond@virtualworld.net, port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/1998 17:51:06
Justin T. Cragin <beyond@virtualworld.net> wrote:
> Is the vs3100 supported, if so, to what extent?

Both KA42 (VS3100 M30/38/40/48) and KA43 (VS3100 M76) are supported, but I
personally find this support unusable because it's very half-way and buggy. The
most serious problems are with DMA and SCSI. And BTW, if you have a KA42 with
a SCSI/MFM mass storage daughterboard, it's not supported.

I would personally recommend waiting until I release my work on making a real
OS for these machines based on 4.3BSD-Tahoe, using Ultrix in the meantime.

> Do I HAVE to use a serial console?

Yes. (And in this case my OS won't be different.)

> Is the graphics console working?

No. (Again, in this case I can't help you either.) I personally find using a
real terminal always better than using that graphical thing. What do you need
graphics for anyway? Using graphics on VAXen destroys their divine VAXness!

> If I had a serial console attached would it then start prining messages there?

I think so.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299