Subject: Re: 3100, console driver/ serial console usage
To: Justin T. Cragin <beyond@virtualworld.net>
From: Jacob H. Suter <jsuter@intrastar.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/12/1998 15:45:38
> Is the vs3100 supported, if so, to what extent?

Yes

> Do I HAVE to use a serial console?

Yes (subject to change I hope)

> Is the graphics console working?

Not yet.

> I am not sure what model I have, but I do have it configured
> to boot from a mopd server, and it will start loading
> its kernel (mopboot.sys/boot.mopformat)
> But stalls just after printing the
> 3435 456456 45656
> sequence (something similar)..
> My sun 4/110 I have runnign net bsd does that as well, but then
> proceds with mounting the root filesystem, and transfers control
> to the kernel there...

Sounds like its working perfectly, the problem is it switches to the
serial port and therefore is speaking the kernel boot info straight into
the breeze... :(

> Is this common?  Does it have to do with switching memory modes?
> If I had a serial console attached would it then start prining messages there?

YEs..  You'll want to hook up the serial console and toggle the switch
(jumpers?) between the serial ports and the LEDs..  There serial console
port is the "printer" port.

> Thanks for your time.. and sorry if I am repeating all the newbie questions...

We were all newbies once :)

JS