Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: MicroVax I
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/1998 18:29:59
<	Having said that it should be possible to port NetBSD to the
<	machine given the right docs. You should be able to modify gcc to
<	only use uVaxI instructions given an appropriate flag, or
<	implement the extra instructions in software as I believe VMS did.

It would be doable but slow and cramped for memory.  Definatly use a
RQDX3/rd54 combo ans the RQDX2 nominally installed was limited to
rd53(71mb).

<	Incidently (question to the list). Are the 11/730 / 11/725
<	limited in a similar way to the uVaxI? Would a port to one help
<	the other?

No and yes.  The MV-1 does it to a far greater extent.  It's not a scaled
down 720 chipset but the first generation at getting VAX on a chip(ok
three of them) and they had to pare it to the bone.  The 730/720s did
emulate a few of the less common instructions.  I'd think the 730 code
would be the cleanest.

Allison