Subject: Re: Need Info: re-block miniroot for TK50s
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/07/1998 14:49:23
> > I recall that I can use EDIT/FDL to create an FDL file under VMS that
> > specifies 512 byte records, then use CONVERT/FDL to convert the existing
> > FILE1 and FILE2 to 512 byte versions, which can then be copied to tape.
>
> Far easier is to use Joe Meadow's FILE utility, available at all
> the fine VMS freeware sites, such as ftp://ftp.wku.edu/vms/fileserv/file.zip.
> After setting it up, just do
>
> $ FILE TK-50-FILE1-13A./RECORD_SIZE=512/TYPE=FIXED

Ok, I realize re-downloading the images can be a nuisance, but
I found that if you can write *over* an existing image then getting
the right blocking for these two images is a piece of cake and
then I don't need to hunt down somebody elses package.

What I did was copy SYSBOOT.EXE to TK1.IMG, and to TK2.IMG. The
blocking is already at 512 bytes/block. Granted I was pulling things
off one tape to put on another so the copy was easier, and I suppose
but don't know that there's a way to do it in kermit (although over
a net would be ok, no?)

The copy command for me was something like:
	copy/trunc/over mua0: tk1.img
and then again for a tk2.img, although truncate is not necessary there.

Zach