Subject: Need Info: EDIT/FDL from VMS, to re-block miniroot for TK50s
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/1998 18:59:06
Hi All:

It's been awhile since I've had to do this, and I've forgotten the procedure!

I have FILE1 and FILE2 from 1.3A, that I need to write to tk50s,
unfortunately from VMS.

The problem is that the two files downloaded with variable-length records.

MOUNT/FOREIGN/BLOCK=512 MUA0: and
COPY TK50-FILE1-13A.; MUA0:

require the input file to be blocked at 512, rather than variable length
records. The copy fails with a record length error.

I recall that I can use EDIT/FDL to create an FDL file under VMS that
specifies 512 byte records, then use CONVERT/FDL to convert the existing
FILE1 and FILE2 to 512 byte versions, which can then be copied to tape.

I played around but did not get the FDL file correct.

Can someone refresh my memory as to the contents of the FDL, and the
conversion procedure? The closest I got was to receive a message indicating
that "user's buffer size has been exceeded".

I think this used to be part of the FAQ (I recall that I got a procedure
off of the net about 2 years ago) but I can't find it today!

Of course if I still had NetBSD on the VAX (I don't) I could just use dd...

Thanks,

Kevin

---
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD