Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/1998 09:58:51
Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se> wrote:
> > What kind of box, BA42-A or BA42-B?
>
> Dunno, but it looks like a VS3100 w/ a different nametag

There is BA42-A, used in VS3100 M30/38/76 and MV3100 M10/10e, and there is
BA42-B, used in VS3100 M40/48 and MV3100 M20/20e. Which one is it?

> > 22 MHz (KA42-A) or 33 MHz (KA42-B)?
>
> Someone said it's 2.8 VUP's

This means it's 22 MHz (KA42-A). The 33 MHz version (KA42-B) is rated as 3.8
VUPs.

> > What mass storage controller?
>
> It has a SCSI-like connector but with more pins on the M/B (or what I
> assume is the M/B), but I'm not sure what it is. Other than that, it has
> no SCSI-like connectors, so it might be SCSI-less.

What do you mean by "a SCSI-like connector but with more pins"? The
high-density 68-pin wrong-gender one? This is what all VS3100 models and
DS3100/2100 use for the external SCSI connector. What do you mean by "on the
M/B"? Is it in line with the Ethernet and serial port connectors, or is above
the Ethernet connectors? In general, is the rear panel layout the same as in
VS3100s and DS3100/2100, or is it different?

> > How was it intended to be used?
>
> As an X terminal running VAXELN

Someone on this list has said that they have it in ROM. Is this really true? In
this case it can't be a normal KA42, since the latter obviously doesn't have
VAXELN or X in the system ROM. Or maybe this VAXELN/X thing is netbooted after
all?

> PS. It has 8 MB RAM and works with a serial console when the console
> switch is flipped.

OK, so the console switch works the same way as on normal KA42s and KA43s.

> I've tried doing "boot esa0"'s, but nothing shows up in
> moptrace or mopdump. Does anybody know how to switch between AUI and BNC?
> I think I've tried both though (BNC w/ and w/o tranceiver), but I might've
> messed up the cable.

There is a switch right between the BNC and AUI connectors. The current
selection is indicated by lighting the LED right next to the connector
selected.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299