Subject: Re: SCSI on Q-bus
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/1998 10:32:18
Ty Sarna wrote:

> In article <199802050004.AA26991@world.std.com> you write:
> >
> > All of the CDroms, tapes, removable disks are also available for IDE.
>
> As I said, that's not really true.  You can get cdroms, tapes, and
> removable media for IDE, yes.  You can also get country, rock, and
> classical on 8-track.  Wether you can get the particular country, rock,
> and classical you're interested in is quite another matter. :-)

I have been watching this discussion with a lot of interest.  This guy must
be an academic or something.  Because it seems like they are the ones who
argue about and/or shoot down things that won't affect them in the least.
If they don't
like IDE, leave the discussion!

This should remain a technical discussion about the design of an inexpensive
mass storage device for Vaxen.  Personal preferences should be left at the
door.  I have always thought the world would be a better place if people
would sometimes just "shut up" and let people discover things on their own!

Now that I have vented my anarchistic mood,  I will interject some
technical  thoughts.

First.  I don't know of a single IDE drive in my possesion that does not
have less than 1 megabyte of cache onboard.  The idea of a one-drive to
one-controller does not make a lot of sense because there is no increase of
economy by adding  extra controllers.  This is assuming PIO.

Second, it seems funny that the people that are advocating NFS mounted ROOT
filesystems and NFS Swap seem
to be the same people against IDE drive!?   What is wrong here?

Andy