Subject: Re: Needing 1.3 tapes
To: David Heller <dmheller@frontiernet.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 20:01:43
On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, David Heller wrote:

> Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 02:24:56 +0000
> From: David Heller <dmheller@frontiernet.net>
> To: port-vax@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Needing 1.3 tapes
>
>    Hello,
>
>   I have a mvII w/ka630 cpu and I was wondering if Netbsd/vax1.3
> supported. If so is there

	It is on the supported machine list
	    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/index.html
	and many people (myself amongst them) have run NetBSD/vax on
	a uVaxII. It should run without problem.

>   someone in the Rochester NY area that has boot/miniroot tk50 tape and
> the binarys. I
>   would be willing to trade. I have some Rd53 disks and a 760Mbyte ESDI
> drive configured

	I'm afraid I can't help you there :/ (Being both in LA, and
	without a usable tk50 drive)

>   as DUA0 .  Also I am interested in using a Qbus scsi adapter card that
> emulates MSCP my
>   question is do they have to be formatted in any special way before
> they can be used
>  (like RD53,RD54 drives). The scsi adapter I will be using is a U.S
> Design Corporation 1108.

	From my (brief) experince with a MSCP emulating SCSI interface
	it should Just Work. You will need to note the heads, cylinders,
	and sectors per track to feed into the disklabel, but apart from
	that you should be fine.

>    Currently I only have VMS availlable for Vax : 2 VS2000 machines one
> with external
>    tape drive both running VMS 5.4  neither of which I can connect to
> the internet. Also I
>     have a Pentium w/Redhat 5.0 Linux installed but no ethernet card
> installed. I should
>    probably start a museum as I also have an Atari 520 & 1040  a MAC
> IIci  which I plan
>     on installing Netbsd (I'm not sure if its available) and a MAC SE
> wih MAC OS version 6.
>     If any one can help with tapes please respond Email.  Or phone me, I
> am listed in phone book.

	Good luck - I hope you find someone to help!

		David/absolute

 ( Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock )