Subject: Re: SCSI on Q-bus
To: None <allisonp@world.std.com, port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 16:31:40
> [ scsi vs ide issue ]

I would point out the IDE hardware is _so_ much simpler and the driver
will be so much simpler, that you can practically have IDE + SCSI for
about the same effort, expense, and aggravation as SCSI. I would do the
IDE first as a stepping stone, then look around and see if you want to
go into this any deeper.

Also, even if you have SCSI stuff lying around, IDE is so cheap!

> [ two layer circuit boards ]

Allison must be very brave.  Well, it is possible, but be sure to have
your layout reviewed by a signal integrity geek (I'll volunteer) first,
and try to build it using only the same old, slow parts that those
historic two-layer boards were made with. (Remember, there are _reasons_
why things weren't so reliable back then...)

Ross Harvey
ross@netbsd.org