Subject: Re: VAX atomic test-and-set?
To: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 22:35:07
On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> the assembly looks correct.

It is, sort of.  Ragge, however, kindly took the time to show me how
to use asm() correctly, which was quite interesting.  I had no idea
that GCC could be so smart about this stuff!

> i guess i'm not understanding why you care that gcc is inlining it
> as long as the bbssi always happens in every expansion.

Trouble is, my "4(ap)" dereference, and even my (unneccessary) "ret"
were being inlined as well.  That's not good when you don't want the
function calling tas() to return to its own caller from within tas().

> the thing i'd recommend changing is the sleep(1).  i think semop() works.

I'll look into it.  It's not actually relevant to this particular
project, but I want to work this all out anyway, for future use.
Thanks for your suggestion!

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"