Subject: Re: SCSI on Q-bus
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 15:11:33
--------------5545DD7FB278DE6BF4BCDA9A

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 15:10:40 -0600
From: Andy Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>

Rick Copeland wrote:

> Hello Group,

> >Also shipping(customs, duties) across the ocean is a factor.
> >
> >Allison
> >
> It looks like IDE will be the way to go,  Allison has done a good proposal
> here.  Now we need to collect up the data sheets and make them availible so
> that a hardware design could be started.  I would suggest that we stay away
> from surface mount components if we plan on making bare boards availible to
> users to assemble themselves also while it may not be as steamlined it might
> be better to stick with off the shelf thru hole components rather than
> programible ones like FPGA or some such.  One thing is for sure the simpler
> we make this project the more likely we are to get a board up and running!

I want to lend my support of Allison's idea.   I think IDE would be a damn good

idea.  I have a DEC-PDP/8E that I have been thinking about such a project for
because of the state of finding that kind of hardware is becoming more and more

scarce.  I even have a prototype wirewrap board for the Omnibus, which looks
mysteriously similar to QBUS Quad width, except that it has a set of connectors

on both sides of the card.

When I was thinking about this a friend of mine suggested using an on-board
processor (like a Z-80) to manage the drive (give very high level disk
functions),
but with the VAX, this would not be as bad of a problem and not as necessary.

Good Idea!  Let me know when I can have the design (to build my own) or where
I can buy one.

Andy

--------------5545DD7FB278DE6BF4BCDA9A--