Subject: Re: http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/full.html
To: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/1998 18:47:15
> > The TU45 is another TM03-based Massbus drive just like the TE16 and TU77,
> > actually AFAIK the only way for software to tell the difference is by speed
> > and the value in the MTDT register.  So it's a generic Massbus drive,
> > 18-bit-capable with the right bit fiddler board, you can use it on Unibus
> > with an RH11 but it works with the RHxx(x) on any other machine too.  The
> > TU45 drive mechanism has a reputation for being junk, so it figures that
> > I'm stuck with two of them!
> >

> I worked with one of these (actually two) 12 years ago and it was old then.
> It was on a PDP-11/70 (low serial number) It was capable of 800/1600BPI and
> it seems like the field circus was in there fixing it more than anything
> else on the system.  The 11/70 actually ran very well (it was one of
> the originals).

The 11/70 *is* reliable. Trust me. :-)

I junked the TU45 around here several years ago. Never liked it.

> I am curious how many TU78's are still out there.  That was a very nice
> drive.  I could even walk it across the floor....

I have one here, but unfortunately, not enough room or cooling to use it.
I was planning to write a new device driver for RSX otherwise. I also have
a couple of TU77. When I get lots of space (any year now :-) I'll be able
to put up a really nice pdp-11 site...

	Johnny