Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/1998 17:42:36
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David Burrows wrote:
>
> > The second problem is trying to get NetBSD to boot off one of the 100mb
> > internal SCSI hard drives.  I have managed to create the filesystem, and
> > copy everything accross to it, but when I try to make it bootable with -B,
> > it can't find the file sdboot.  I have three files; hpboot, raboot and
> > xxboot.  Will any of these help me?  Basically I cannot find anywhere in
> > the FAQ which mentions booting from scsi hard disks.  If someone could
> > give me a pointer in how, or if this is going to work, that would be much
> > appreciated.
> >
> 	Just 'cp xxboot sdboot'
> 	You may nee to use a PIO kernel, plus there have ben reports of
> 	the current VS3100 scsi drivers having a tendancy to crash the
> 	machine... That is certainly on ragge's todo list :)

So what is involved with this procedure? "disklabel -B /dev/sd0a" ?

Ok, I've done that, but I don't know how to get the VAX to boot it. :P  To
boot via ethernet, I simply used the command "b/100 esa0" like it said in
brians NetBoot HOWTO.

I have tried "boot dka200" (104mb SCSI DISK), and it says:
"howto 0x0, bdev 0x2a, booting...Boot failed, saerrno 2"

Regards,

Dave.