Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/1998 21:48:34
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David Burrows wrote:

> I have recently aquired a VAXstation 3100, and am in the process of
> installing NetBSD 1.3.  I've successfully mopbooted it, with an nfs root
> filesystem on a Linux x86 box.
>
> The first problem is after NetBSD starts booting, I don't get any display
> on the monitor.  I read the faq, and it states this is because NetBSD does
> not support the graphics console.  My question; How can I set my monitor
> into terminal emulation?  Or is there another way of doing this?

	Ragge ha plans for a 'fast fix' to the console drivers to make
	text work on the VS3100 console - I don't know what the timescale
	is, bt until he, or someone else writes the code you are stuck
	it  aserial console - you could hook it up to your PC and use
	tip or similar.

> The second problem is trying to get NetBSD to boot off one of the 100mb
> internal SCSI hard drives.  I have managed to create the filesystem, and
> copy everything accross to it, but when I try to make it bootable with -B,
> it can't find the file sdboot.  I have three files; hpboot, raboot and
> xxboot.  Will any of these help me?  Basically I cannot find anywhere in
> the FAQ which mentions booting from scsi hard disks.  If someone could
> give me a pointer in how, or if this is going to work, that would be much
> appreciated.

	Just 'cp xxboot sdboot'
	You may nee to use a PIO kernel, plus there have ben reports of
	the current VS3100 scsi drivers having a tendancy to crash the
	machine... That is certainly on ragge's todo list :)

		David/absolute

          .:. "I'm not an angel... I'm not that quaint..." .:.