Subject: Re: http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/full.html
To: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/1998 12:43:30
My 2 cents worth for a 2 cent piece of hardware (or shall I say 2 bit!)

> The TU45 is another TM03-based Massbus drive just like the TE16 and TU77,
> actually AFAIK the only way for software to tell the difference is by speed
> and the value in the MTDT register.  So it's a generic Massbus drive,
> 18-bit-capable with the right bit fiddler board, you can use it on Unibus
> with an RH11 but it works with the RHxx(x) on any other machine too.  The
> TU45 drive mechanism has a reputation for being junk, so it figures that
> I'm stuck with two of them!

I worked with one of these (actually two) 12 years ago and it was old then.
It was on a PDP-11/70 (low serial number) It was capable of 800/1600BPI and
it seems like the field circus was in there fixing it more than anything
else on the system.  The 11/70 actually ran very well (it was one of the originals).

I am curious how many TU78's are still out there.  That was a very nice
drive.  I could even walk it across the floor....

Andy