Subject: Re: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Heller <dmheller@frontiernet.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/31/1998 02:14:57
Allison J Parent wrote:

> RE: ba213
>
> <Just guessing: Because of the smell the power cables emitted when melting
> <
> <I have never seen this happen, but have seen the result.
>
> No that was the BA23 with the unequal length power supply to backplane
> connector.  The fix to keep that from happening was to replace that pretty
> staggered length cable with one that has equal length leads.  The problem
> was current hogging by the shorter leads and eventual meltdown of the
> connectors from overload.
>
> Allison

     RE: ba23

    Actually it's not so much the unequal length but lack of a tight
connectin where the
    connector plugs into the power supply. By the way when this happened to
my PDP 11
    box (which has a KA630 in it now). I went to my local DEC service center
and a helpful
    service engineer gave me a new upgraded power cable at no charge.  That's
probably
    the last time I will get service like that ever again, with Compaq at the
wheel.

    Regards,
    David