Subject: Re: DUA7 on KDA50/IDE aside
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/29/1998 14:34:34
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>

<Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl> wrote:
<> [...] (or much, much less in the case of a certain
<> brain-dead PC drive interface type.. Hint: start's with an 'I' and
<> ends with 'DE' ;-)
<I agree wholeheartedly! I use 5.25" full-height ESDI Winchesters on my IB
<AT-compatible at home, and I will never use the bull**** called IDE.

that is the single most inaccurate statement I've heard to date.

The IDE interface is a simplification of the combined wd1003 or 100x(the
rll cards) and the associtaed MFM drive. From the bus and programatcally
they look the same and for all intents and purposes they are the same.
However as IDE drives moved forward the data rates from platters went up
to exceed the EDSI rates and most all have some level of track buffering
or caching (there are ISA16 caching controllers but the data rates are
limited to either MFM or EDSI).  Unless dma is used the peak data rate for
an ISA16 interface is limited to the bus speed and not the maximum
transfer rate of the drive.  IDE being off the ISA bus can run at higher
rates.  The newer 3.5" drives offer lower seek times, lower rotational
latency than any 5.25" drive and are only exceeded in performance by
their contemporary SCSI drives.

What's apparently wrong about IDE (applies to ISA16) is that PCs do
PIO(most cases) rather than DMA transfers so concurantcy is lost to
CPU cycles doing the transfers rather than DMA.

Having a linux box with a Ultrastor caching edsi controller using a
Micropolus 1664-7 5.25 edsi and a WD 420mb 3.5" IDE in the same box
there is no question which is the faster and it's not the EDSI.  That
proved true for both linux and DOS.  In my expereince for nonPC platform
design the performance levels are MFM -> EDSI -> IDE -> SCSI-III with MFM
at the bottom of the pile.

Don't blame IDE for bad performance as it's a hardware bus level interface
standard only and it's limits are well into the 20mb/S plus range and is
only limited by the hardware on either side of it.  On the otherhand it
is fair to say XYZZ IDE drive is poor performer as that can be very true
especially in the older drives.

Allison