Subject: RE: Command 0xNN completed with result code 0xNN workaround?
To: 'Boris Gjenero' <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/1998 02:58:23
Boris Gjenero wrote:

[...]
> You may want to take a look at the badsect(8) man page, but that
suffers
> from the same limitations.

First of all I did the "low-level format dance":

>>> t 70

                  KA410-A RDRXfmt

VSfmt_QUE_unitno (0-2) ? 0

VSfmt_STS_Siz ................. RD53

VSfmt_QUE_SerNbr (0-999999999) ? 980128

VSfmt_QUE_RUsure (DUA0 1/0) ? 1

VSfmt_STS_RdMbb ................OK

VSfmt_STS_FMTing ................OK

VSfmt_STS_ChkPss ...............OK

VSfmt_STS_BBRvec := 5

VSfmt_RES_Succ

If I understand this correctly the formatter found 5 new bad blocks not
in the manufacturer's bad block table? And the problem is that NetBSD
doesn't understand this bad block table that the formatter has created?

Ah, well. At least the NetBSD kernel now recognizes the disk again (I
had a bad crash while untarring the binaries... something about a
corrupted directory entry... the root directory of the partition!

> Hmm... now I have another idea.  Linux ext2fs knows how to deal with
bad
> sectors.  What would happen if you used ext2fs instead of ffs?  (It is
> supported in NetBSD)

Ugh. Linux? OK, if it'll help. How's that done? I can't find anything
about specifying the fs type in man newfs. Do I enter it in the disktab
entry?

man badsect talks about identifying the bad sectors through messages on
the console. How? Is that part of the "command 0xnn completed..."
message?

Thanks for all your help!

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2