Subject: Re: Compaq buys Digital
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1998 15:10:51
On January 27, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
> >   Dude...they're PCs...get over it, eh?  You don't really believe they
> > use different components, do you?
>
> Please.. PLEASE... let's not get into the typical "My ancient piece
> of crap is better than your new piece of crap" argument... let's
> face it: We love Vaxen not because of thier power, but because of
> thier weight. We own Vaxen so that we can say "We Own Big Iron."

  I believe you've misinterpreted me.

  You'll note that I said nothing at all about VAXen above.  And *I*
love VAXen because they're predictable, available, affordable,
reliable, and [let's face it] fast enough for most real-world
applications.  Oh, and I also think they're highly cool. :)

  *grumble*

  And as far as your sweeping assumptions as to the justification of
our involvement with these computers, here are some tidbits:

  Fact #1: SOME uses of SOME VAXen are considered
           "retrocomputing"...but some are not.
  Fact #2: SOME VAXen are ancient...but some are not.
  Fact #3: SOME VAXen are slow...but some are not.
  Fact #4: SOME VAXen are obsolete...but some are not.

                          -Dave McGuire
                           mcguire@neurotica.com