Subject: RE: Compaq buys Digital
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1998 16:50:12
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Since Compaq is outright buying DEC, I wouldn't expect any name
change.
> Maybe a DEC division inside Compaq at the most.

At first: Yes.

Compaq paid $9.6 billion, they're gonna have to finance that somehow
(even though they have a lot of money, $9.6 billion is a _big_ number
even for them). Expect to see Compaq selling off the parts they don't
want quite soon.

Anyone want the VAX division? The OpenVMS engineering division?

Later I would expect the Digital and DEC names to disappear entirely. We
have enough examples of this happening from computing history. Anyone
remember Univac? Sperry-Rand? And so on...

Gunnar
(Cynic? Pessimist? Moi?? Nah...! ;-)

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2