Subject: Re: Compaq buys DEC... Dear God, no...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin2@wizards.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/1998 18:11:45
	Gordon was kind enough to post the details (thanks! -- I couldn't reach
their web server for some reason).

>"This merger gives Digital tremendous reach and credibility in the
>marketplace," said Digital Chairman Robert B. Palmer. "It gives us the
>scale and resources to make continued investments in our key technologies
>and services. Customers will benefit from the very complementary strengths
>of both companies. For example, together we will offer customers the
>greatest concentration of enterprise Windows NT products and lifecycle
>services available in the market today.

	Translation: Digital's management and operating practices have been
totally screwed up for years. This screwed-up structure is what was costing
Digital what little credibility they had left. So, rather than admit they
were wrong and taking responsibility for fixing things themselves, they're
just going to sell out to Compaq and bail out while they can. Digital's
failures will be cloaked with Compaq's image even though Digital will
likely still be screwed up.

	I suspect this may be a death knell for OpenVMS despite anything Compaq
may claim. This smacks of Just One More Way that Billy-boy Gates can use to
try and take over what little of the industry he hasn't already.

	Just my $.02 worth. I'll go back on topic now.

Bruce Lane, Sysop,  The Dragon's Cave BBS (Fidonet 1:343/272)
(Hamateur: WD6EOS) (E-mail: kyrrin2@wizards.net)
http://www.wizards.net/technoid
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."