Subject: Re: What is LCG?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 20:46:12
<This was a pipelined implementation.  Lots of micromachines inside.
<The public statement, as Allison said, was it cost too much with too
<little return.  The truth is a little different.

I kep to the public disclosure as even the customer base would have
loved 2x!  I knew better as a 20 could outrun a vax on the average day
back then.  THe battle was raw speed or large address space and the
address space was starting to win.  A superfast 20 was not good for VAX
sales any more than the 11/74 (QUAD SMP 11/70) was good for the
VAX-11/780.

<the 100K ecl logic we used (original code name Hephastus, changed to
<Jupiter when someone found out that Hephastus, as vulcan, ate the
<children of venus).  When we were naming the dec name of the cpu, we

Theirin lies the crux of the story.

Me I was dealing with the future of non-impact printing... some wild
stories there too.

Allison