Subject: etftp and netbooting of MicroVAXen
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 19:23:25
A couple people have asked about etftp, and I decided that it would be
best to post this information to the list.

First of all, about etftp:
That is the athena network bootstrap program.  You can find the binary
in the Athena-4.3BSD distribution.  This is at:
http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/system/vax_bsd43/srvd/tp/etftp
People who can use AFS can get this from:
/afs/athena.mit.edu/system/vax_bsd43/srvd/tp/etftp
I've seen the pmax source but I haven't ever seen the VAX source.

This is an a.out file that willl happily MOP to and run on a MicroVAX
II, VS2000 and possibly other stuff.  Since it is a.out I had to hack
mopd-linux to make it understand a.out.  I also had to defeat the
machine-id (mid) detection because the mid in it is zero.
BTW.  Could somebody who knows how it is done please convert etftp to
MOP format.

Once it loads and runs it will prompt you for the IP addresses of the
machine and the server and the file to load.  I think you can use bootp
to fully automate this.  The program then gets the file using TFTP, but
it uses the image type instead of octet.  I had to change TFTP to
recognize that.  (It may first say that there is no respnse on the
ethernet, but ignore that... it is just complaining because it didn't
get any NIP response)

Anyways, that's about it.  I have hacked Linux tftpd and mopd stuff
at http://www.mnsi.net/~bgjenero/uVAXII_netboot/
WARNING!  These are broken... they won't work right for anything besides
netbooting with etftp.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |