Subject: Re: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 13:23:49
>From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>

>Yup.  Sorry about that<rant> -- but really, these days, ISO 8859-1,
>clearly marked as such with MIME headers, should be acceptable globally.

Ideally yes.  But the VT100 character set just doesn't have most of those
characters so I can't see them, not everyone is using a graphics scope where
it's all up to software.  IMHO MIME has gotten just a tad carried away anyway
(why do some mailers insist on sending every message twice, once as butchered
plain text and once as HTML?  and why is filling an otherwise plain text
message with equals signs somehow preferable to just leaving it alone?)...

Hmmm ... could use the APL extension ROM from the VT100 advanced video option
and a translation filter to get some/most of the chars...

John Wilson
D Bit