Subject: RE: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/1998 10:00:13
<> as VAXstation II/GPX as well. We used to call this config the "Q3". Th
<> smaller cabinet we used to call "Q2" and the largest cabinet (like the
<> one Tom Ivar has, a rack with an RA82 at the bottom) we used to call th
<> "Q5".
<>
<> Where these designations came from I don't know. Anyone else seen/used
<> them?

The model designator likely has a trailing Qn.

According to "the book":

This is genrally limited to systems configured using KA630Q cpus:

VAXstation:  Microvax-II with terminal IO
             The difference between microvaxII and VAXstation was
             generally related to package, but not always.  It managed
             to blur the lines between workstation(vaxstation) and
             backroom terminal conected systems.  The only recognized
             difference was intended use and the way they were sold
             With vaxstation being oriented toward single user and
             microvax aimed at small system prelacement for bigger vaxen.
VAXstation-II: Microvax-II with VCB01 (mono with vr290)
VAXstation-II/GPX: Microvax-II VCB02 4 plane or 8plane comor graphics.
 * note there was also a two user /GPX that used two sets of VCB02.

There were 4 packageing options:

BA23     ( MVAX, VS-II)
BA123    ( mVAX-II, VS-II, VS-II/gpx)
BA213/14 (industrial box, Rarely found as other that factoryVAX-II)
H9642J   Rack with two ba23s (generally only configured as MicroVAX-II
         with lots of big storage options, RA60, RA80/81/82, TU81)

Allison