Subject: Re: VS3100M76 odyssey continues...
To: Carlsson, Anders <dal95acn@mds.mdh.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/1998 05:44:57
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Carlsson, Anders wrote:
> Paul Apprich had the following output when he tried to boot his VS3100M76:

> > sdopen: ctlr=0 unit=0 part=0
> > sdstrategy(0,0): size=512 blk=0 nblk=1 scsi_tt_read: ctlr 0, slave 0, len
> > 512, blk 0, nblk 1 sc_rdwt: op 3, block 0, ram 107dd4, len 1, sc_adr 1,
> > lun 0
> > exec_scsi_low(0x10cfb0, 1)
> > sc_wait_bus_free()
> > sc_select(1)
> > sc_dma_setup(4, 1080500) sc_receive() begin: 48/48 48 48 48 48 48 etc

> So do I if I try to boot without b/1 and rom()netbsd instead of /netbsd.

If using rom()netbsd works, you can safely ignore my suggestion.  It was
based on experiences with non-VAXstation systems that seemed to experience
problems with drives that had their SCSI id set to 0.  I never bothered to
figure out whether it was a driver, SCSI controller, or disk problem as
setting the id to a non-zero value made the problem go away.

> Brian Chase suggested to jumper the SCSI drive to something else than 0.
> I've now checked one of those M76 at my place, and could not find a such
> jumper in hardware, either on the RZ24 SCSI disks or somewhere on the
> motherboard. Is this a software setting at the boot monitor? At least I
> can not find a "set scsia" or something there.

I'm not familliar with the RZ24 in particular, but nearly every single
SCSI device I've ever come across has a block of jumpers on it which
allow you to specify the SCSI id of the device.  On older drives,
jumpering the ids tends not to be the most obvious task -- unless you've
got the drive manual handy or an on-line spec sheet on the drive in
question.  Newer drives tend to have jumper diagrams right on them.

(Exceptions to this would be some external devices like Zip drives which
are only switchable between id 5 and 6, and many SCSI controllers which
are often software configurable.)

Does anyone know which drive manufacturer made the RZ24, and what its
non-DEC designation is?  I'm assuming that DEC didn't actually make the
RZ24 themselves.

-brian.
---