Subject: VS3100 M76 standalone boot (new try)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carlsson, Anders <dal95acn@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 22:56:46
I have a number (yes) of VS3100 M76 I've tried to run NetBSD on. I have
now fetched the latest NetBSD-1.3 from ftp and done as following:

1. Set up the disklabel for sd0 (SCSI disk) with six devices, a for root,
   b for swap, c for the whole disk, d for tmp, e for var and f for usr.
   No partitions overlap each other.

2. Newfs sd0a,sd0d,sd0e,sd0f and after doing that, the first thing I did
   was install primary bootblock with disklabel -B -b sdboot sd0
   and then copy the /boot and /netbsd to sd0a. I choose the generic
   /netbsd and not a PIO patched one, since the only such I found was for
   1.3-ALPHA. I also copied in some of the other archives onto the disk
   and reboot.

When I "b dka200" (which is the sd0 SCSI disk) the boot program loads,
but it fails to load /netbsd due to the boot program does not handle SCSI?

If I rather "b/1 dka200" and at the prompt enters "rom()netbsd" as Ragge
told me before, it boots but I have to manually fill in root device and
so on. Not only the first time I do this, but every reboot. Am I doing
something wrong? I've managed to netboot the VS3100 without any trouble.

Sincerely
	Anders Carlsson