Subject: RE: CPUs and system boards
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 19:33:30
Michael Sokolov wrote:

[big snip]
>    3. Converting a VAXstation to the serial console makes it appear to
the
> software as a VAXserver, rather than a MicroVAX.
[snip]
>    You wrote:
> > The jumper is not there for licencing purposes.
> > It is there so the console knows whether it is supposed to behave as

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > workstation or as a microvax; the fact that the OS gets to know is
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > incidental.

I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 running VMS V6.1. The monitor is gone so
I'm using it with a serial console. I have changed the dip switch at the
back.

Using SYS$UPDATE:VMSLICENSE option 12, it says:

   Use the SHOW UNITS option to display license unit requirements and
   other licensing information for the current node.

   Type '?' at any prompt for a description of the information
   requested.  Press Ctrl/Z at any prompt to return to the main menu.

Showing unit requirements on node VULCAN, a VAXserver 3100 computer, SMM
#60, CP
U Type 10, System ID 167772165, VMS Operating System, Version V6.1.

VMS/LMF Charge Information for node VULCAN
This is a VAXserver 3100, hardware model type 60
Type: A, * Not Permitted *      (VMS Capacity)
Type: B, Units Required: 100    (VMS Server)
Type: C, * Not Permitted *      (VMS Concurrent User)
Type: D, * Not Permitted *      (VMS Workstation)
Type: E, Units Required: 50     (System Integrated Products)
Type: F, Units Required: 10     (Layered Products)
Type: G, * Not Permitted *      (VMS Reserved)
Type: H, * Not Permitted *      (Alpha Layered Products)
Type: I, Units Required: 10     (Layered Products)
Press RETURN to return to the main menu

Note that type C is not permitted. This is the type of license that
would give you more than two users and what you'd normally use on a
MicroVAX. The only VMS license type allowed is the type B with 100
units, i.e. a VMS 1 user license. If the dip switch had been in the
other position a type B license would have been disallowed and a type D
of 200 units (VMS 2 user) would have been required.

Note that it's possible to get around the VAXserver VMS licensing
restrictions by loading a type B VMS Server license (instead of a
VMS-BASE license) and then loading a multiuser VMS-USER license. This
gives you a very cheap multiuser systems as the requirements for layered
products etc. are very low on a VAXserver.

Or so I've been told... ;-)

[huge snip]
> > The VAXstation 3100-30 and -38 both use a daughter board which
provides a
> > SCSI interface and a floppy disk interface (there are at least two
> > variants of this board).
>    That's right. The two variants that I know of are SCSI/SCSI and
> SCSI/MFM. The external SCSI connector has 68 contacts (I did count
:-)).

My VS3100 M38 has the daughter board, a floppy drive and two SCSI
busses:

VULCAN# sh dev pk

Device                  Device           Error
 Name                   Status           Count
PKA0:                   Online               0
PKB0:                   Online               0

VULCAN# sh dev/fu $1$dka100

Disk $1$DKA100: (VULCAN), device type RZ23L, is online, mounted,
file-oriented
    device, shareable, served to cluster via MSCP Server, error logging
is
    enabled.

VULCAN# sh dev/fu $1$dka500

Disk $1$DKA500: (VULCAN), device type RX23S, is online, file-oriented
device,
    shareable, error logging is enabled.

VULCAN# sh dev/fu mkb500

Magtape VULCAN$MKB500:, device type TK50, is online, file-oriented
device, error
    logging is enabled.

It would seem that VMS is aware of the precense of the video circuitry,
even though it's not currently in use:

FTA0:                   Offline              0
WSA0:                   Offline              0

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2