Subject: boot aggravation
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/1998 15:39:40
> I got the latest version of boot from ftp.netbsd.org for the vax. I run:
>
> # disklabel -B -b boot sd0 rz24
> disklabel:Bootstrap code leaves no room for disk label
>
> I have 1824 sectors reserved from the start of the disk to the start of
> sd0a. Is this the boot that lives in the root directory of sd0a or does
> it live at absolute zero sector?

boot is the secondary boot-loader and is a file which should be copied
into the root directory as /boot

disklabel expects to be given the name of a file holding bootblocks
(primary boot-loader) which is eg. sdboot, xxboot, raboot etc. and
which are usually located in /usr/mdec/

bootblocks (or files holding images of these) have a special format
which has a gap (filled with zeroes) at a given offset. This gap
is at the same location as the disk-label on the disk. Thus the
disklabel program checks for the existence of this gap, which /boot
doesn't have and complains...

Ciaom
	bertram