Subject: Re: RRD40
To: None <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: Kees Stravers <pb0aia@iaehv.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/1998 10:28:52
On 1998-01-19 sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu said
 so>Dear Antonio,
 so>You wrote:
 so>> Both the RRD40 and RRD50 are very slow: a dual speed RRD42
 so>> is a big improvement!
 so>RRD42 is single-speed. (Believe me, I know. RRD42 is really Sony
 so>CDU-541 with different firmware, and the only difference is
 so>probably in the word "DEC". CDU-541 is a very well-known 1X CD-ROM
 so>drive. Heck, everyone on our campus who has ever worked with this
 so>old stuff knows that it's 1X). Thus the only way RRD50 and RRD40
 so>can be slower is if they were "1/2 X", but I don't think they were.

If the RRD40 is the big external top-loading external drive, the same
one as the very first cd-rom drive made by Philips, (a picture of which
I have on my page http://www.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/sroom.html) the
CM110, then it very well can be slower than 1x! I have 8 of these drives
hooked up to my bbs, and while they are very solid and dependable, they
are also incredebly slow, more like 1/4x. Throughput is in the order
of 35k.

Kees

--

Kees Stravers - Geldrop, The Netherlands - pb0aia at amsat dot org
PC/Novell system management - DEC PDP-11/VAX preservationist

Net-Tamer V 1.08.1 - Registered