Subject: Re: An MV3100/KA41 questionport-vax@NetBSD.ORG
To: None <"port-vax@netbsd.org"@vbormc.vbo.dec.com>
From: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 20-Jan-1998 0809 +0000 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/1998 09:49:23
"sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu" "Michael Sokolov" wrote:

>> Certenly 50p Centronics connector [...]
>   This is very strange. In my VS3100s M38s the external SCSI connector is
>the funny one that I have described before. The whole SCSI subsystem is on
>the mass storage controller daughterboard, which is designed so that it
>can't have any other type of connector. I have thought that this same
>daughterboard design is used in all KA41 and KA42 systems, and even in
>KN01s (DS2100/3100), and therefore all these systems have those funny
>connectors. Antonio! Would you please enlighten us?

The MicroVAX 3100 series used the 50-way Amphenol connector (at least as far as
the MicroVAX 3100-90 ... I don't know about the 3100-88 or 3100-98 where the box
changed completely).

The VAXstation 3100-30/38/76 all used the 68-way connector (at least I think its
68-way ... I didn't actually count it!).

The MicroVAXes all (AFAIK) have the SCSI interface on the main board. The
VAXstation 3100-30 and -38 both use a daughter board which provides a SCSI
interface and a floppy disk interface (there are at least two variants of this
board). The VAXstations were originally sold in configurations that allowed
diskless satellites so the SCSI interface was optional.

The VAXstation 3100-76 has its SCSI interfaces on the main board.

I don't remember what the various DECstations did. I think the DECstation
3100/2100 used the same box as the VAXstation 3100-30/38 so they would have had
the same SCSI connector, but the interface was probably built in to the
motherboard (via the SII, IIRC).

Antonio

Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England