Subject: Re: difference KA650-AA and KA650-BA
To: Michael Sokolov <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/1998 15:55:47
Hi,

----------
> From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
> To: emu@ecubics.com; port-vax@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re:  difference KA650-AA and KA650-BA
> Date: Sunday, January 18, 1998 2:09 PM
>
> Emanuel Stiebler <emu@ecubics.com> wrote:
> > anybody knows, what the difference is ?
> KA650-AA is used in MicroVAX 3500/3600 and KA650-BA is used in VAXserver
> 3500/3600. The only difference is that they are different :-). You see,
DEC's
> stupid proprietary OSes want to be able to tell between a MicroVAX and a
> VAXserver for stupid licensing reasons. Many VAXen had MicroVAX and
VAXserver
> versions that differed only in licensing, and DEC wanted to enforce this
> "difference" by sticking an identification bit somewhere.

thanks, but it seems, that i have here the third version. i got this
machine as a VAXSTATION 3500.
if you are interrested in the configuration, please look at "console at
ka650" mail. Anyway, why this machine don't understand most of this monitor
commands ?

> > I have in this system a DELQA-SA BOARD.
> > what is the name of it ?
> >
> > I can Boot from my TK70 as "B/3 MUA0",
> > but trying a "B/100 ESA0"
> ESA0 is the Ethernet interface of BabyVAXen which is based on the AMD
LANCE
> chip and doesn't even resemble DEQNA/DELQA. The VMS/VMB name for the
latter is
> XQA0.

thanks, the second ....

trying :

b/100 XQA0

looks like this machine try to boot !!!

now i have to setup a linux box (or my NetBSD/pmax) , for the mop-boot.

thanks, again
emanuel